<Note: This page has not been updated since 2011, it is shared for reference purposes>
Links to Anthromes content on the web
Environmental Science & Technology: http://pubs.acs.org/subscribe/journals/esthag-w/2008/jan/science/rc_biomes.html
Faculty of 1000: http://www.f1000biology.com/article/id/1099018
Discovery Channel News Video: Jorge Ribas, Human influence on ecology mapped: http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/earth-human-influence-on-ecology-mapped.html
Same video, at Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTUOHMkGa0Q
Baltimore Sun Science Blog: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/sciencematters/blog/2007/12/umbc_scientist_makes_discovery.html
Article at http://www.eoearth.org/article/Anthropogenic_biomes (includes a PowerPoint presentation)
Online Maps for Google Earth and Google Maps: http://www.eoearth.org/article/Anthropogenic_biome_maps
Blog at Earth Forum: Conserving Nature in an Anthropogenic Biosphere: http://www.earthportal.org/forum/?p=410
Earth Portal Topic of the Week: http://www.earthportal.org/?p=514
UMBC Press Release: http://www.umbc.edu/news/2007/11/ecologists_remap_the_biosphere.html
McGill Press Release (ENG): http://www.mcgill.ca/newsroom/news/?ItemID=28064
McGill: 10 minute audio interview with Navin Ramankutty: http://mediasite.campus.mcgill.ca/ramankutty.mp3
Google Earth Community: http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/1065566/
ESA Blog: http://www.esa.org/esablog/?p=91
Favorite BLOGS (full list below):
> Wired News Blog: http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/11/mapping-the-hum.html
> WORLDCHANGING: http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/007811.html (really nice article by Chad Monfreda).
> Super kudos! http://pedshed.net/?p=151 (A Revolutionary Map of the World)
> Resilience Alliance: http://rs.resalliance.org/2007/12/13/mapping-the-anthropocene-anthropegnic-biomes/
> Conservation issues: http://sparkleberrysprings.com/v-web/b2/index.php?p=1077
> Suite101: http://cartography-maps.suite101.com/article.cfm/mapping_human_impacts_on_global_ecosystems
> Earth Sky: http://blogs.earthsky.org/dankulpinski/2007/11/27/new-human-centric-map-of-the-world/
> In Greek, German and English! http://grundnig-vassilis.blogspot.com/2007/12/ein-anderer-weltatlas-other-world-map.html
> http://www.enviroliteracy.org/subcategory.php/294.html Educational content on biomes, integrating anthromes and linking to the anthromes project web site.
> http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-anthropogenic-biomes.htm (funny definition based on our work)
ALL posts about our work (in order observed)
11/30 and after
41. http://pedshed.net/?p=151 (A Revolutionary Map of the World)
46. http://www.gearthchina.com/archives/2007/12/Anthropogenic-biomes.htm (in Chinese finally!; “??????”????????”)
49.http://minekorultelma.blog.hu/2007/12/06/megreformalt_vilagterkep (in Hungarian)
58. http://www.clients.prc.sprocketlogic.com/blog/archives/9-Anthropogenic-Biomes-A-New-Perspective.html (Population Resource Center)
59. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=252478 (off the wall, but lengthy discussion by non-scientists)
60. http://globalecology.stanford.edu/DGE/CIWDGE/home/publications/dgepubs.html (Carnegie Global Ecology pub links)
61. http://scienceline.org/2007/12/27/a-good-reason-to-be-self-centered/ (NYU student, from interview)
62. http://spaceflaneur.wordpress.com/2008/01/12/strolling-through-anthromes/ (nice discussion)
66. http://www.geographos.com/BLOGRAPHOS/?p=325 (Spanish or Portuguese?)
67. http://www.color: #a8cc50; color: white”>geekfest.com/showthread.php?t=145116 (a world without us-like post about a tv show on this).
68. http://rss.furl.net/item/29540755 (very brief comment with link)
69. http://www.vcharkarn.com/varticle/3008/254 (in Thai!)
70. http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/007811.html (really nice article by Chad Monfreda).
71. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-anthropogenic-biomes.htm (funny definition based on our work)
72. http://wildgreenyonder.wordpress.com/2008/02/02/anthropogenic-biomes/ (small writeup, inspired by the worldchanging article).
73. http://sirenschronicles.com/category/environment/ (blurb inspired by the worldchanging article).
74. http://betblue.blogspot.com/2008/02/really-cool-environmental-articles.html (source of previous text?)
75. http://tingilinde.typepad.com/starstuff/2008/01/where-the-wild.html (a small blurb on the paper).
76. http://www.ecosystemsandpoverty.org/index.php/2008/year-of-the-novel-ecosystems/ (noted in response to another article in Frontiers, on “novel ecosystems”)
77. http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/02/avoiding-carbon.html (Alex Madrigal used the term anthromes in another article).
78. http://moodle.presidiomba.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=32004&parent=77704 (note linking this to the Oceans paper in Science).
80. http://www.urth.tv/content/view/26698/214/ (based on the worldchanging piece, posted by Chad Monfreda)
81. http://www.enviroliteracy.org/subcategory.php/294.html Educational content on biomes, integrating anthromes and linking to the anthromes project web site…
82. http://wichitafalls.yourhub.com/WichitaFalls/Blogs/Family-Community/Community/Blog~424936.aspx A brief local blog invoking the anthrome map as showing human destruction.
84. http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/06/a-seed-without.html anthromes cited by Alexis Madrigal in Wired.
85. http://www.verbeat.org/cgi-local/mt4/mt-search.cgi?tag=antroma&blog_id=34&IncludeBlogs=34 anthromes in a Brazilian Blog (Portuguese: anthromes = “antroma”).
86. http://www.frameweb.org/ev.php?ID=96719_201&ID2=DO_TOPIC natural resources news item, with video.
87. http://www.esa.org/seeds/leadership/2008%20Leadership%20Meeting%20Report.pdf : subject of an ESA SEEDS discussion: “In spite of some disagreement amongst ecologists over the acceptance of terms that more accurately describe the planet’s biomes, such as anthropogenic biomes or anthromes, there is a need to illustrate such perspectives to the general public.”
88. http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/oceanography-book/anthropocene.htm: used in describing the anthropocene.
89. http://google-earth-kml.blogspot.com/2008/01/anthropogenic-biomes.html: a blurb on anthromes with a link to umbc/ges
90. http://environmentalvalues.blogspot.com/2008/08/future-persons-future-values-ignorance.html: blog post with a link to ecotope/anthromes: “ecologists have come to realize that there is little for them to study, except for “anthropogenic biomes” (http://www.ecotope.org/projects/anthromes/). ”
91. http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/008765.html worldchanging retrospective (front page with map picture!) features anthromes as a “best of”
92. http://indianecologist.wordpress.com/2007/04/28/hello-world/#comment-1 An old post recently found- interesting muse about anthromes in India.
93. http://www.cec.org/naatlas/maps/index.cfm?catId=9&varlan=english mapped in the North American Environmental Atlas
94. http://faunalforce.typepad.com/survivalists/2009/01/a-paradigm-flip.html an interesting take on anthromes from a wild nature enthusiast.
95. http://cartography-maps.suite101.com/article.cfm/mapping_human_impacts_on_global_ecosystems A lengthy article on anthropogenic biomes. (http://www.suite101.com/content/mapping-human-impacts-on-global-ecosystems-a94180)
96. http://current.com/items/89959910_worldchanging-save-the-holocene.htm mentioned in comments about blog post at worldchanging.
97. http://gisandscience.com/2009/05/19/towards-a-gis-based-framework-for-climate-change-studies/ noted as framework for global climate change studies.
98. http://oneecologistsview.blogspot.com/2009/05/anthromes.html a brief blog post on anthromes.
99. http://farmingpathogens.wordpress.com/2009/06/01/the-hog-industry-strikes-back/ post using anthromes map in discussing swine flu (H1N1) outbreak in Mexico.
100. http://ecoscientist.org/2009/06/02/anthropogenic-biomes/ brief post on anthromes based on the Discovery video.
101. http://permaculturepower.wordpress.com/2009/07/04/a-new-way-to-view-our-world/ anthrome maps posted as part of links on viewing earth using google earth.
102. http://www.sciencehelpdesk.com/unit/science2/11 a link to our anthromes map on google earth, posted as part of basic science teaching resources.
103. http://www.esa.org/esablog/?tag=anthromes blog post on the ESA Ecotone blog about anthromes based on the Discovery video.
104. http://www.abqjournal.com/abqnews/john-fleck-nm-science-mainmenu-31/14545-people-and-ecosystems-a-final-note.html reporter blog post about the original paper.
105. http://www.amerika.org/2009/ecocide/overproducing-food-makes-life-worse/ random blog post.
106. http://www.ecocy.net/fr/journal.php#50 very interesting use of anthromes as part of an ecological law framework.
107. http://scienceblogs.com/highlyallochthonous/2009/09/anthropogenic_biomes.php Nice science blog post about anthromes, with reference to teaching earth science.
108. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/09/earth-users-guide/ anthrome map in Wired blog piece about Planetary Boundaries paper.
*109. http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=40554 NASA Earth Observatory blog post.
110. http://ddimick.typepad.com/dennis_dimicks_blog/2009/10/anthropogenic-biomes-ecological-patterns-caused-by-human-impact-map-of-human-ecosystems-via-nasa.html anthromes blog post- after nasa post.
111. http://ddimick.posterous.com/anthropogenic-biomes-ecological-patterns-caus – similar to 111.
112. http://freegeographytools.com/2009/mapping-anthropogenic-biomes a nice post on mapping anthromes.
*113. http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/es/anthropogenicbiomes.html post of data at CIESIN/SEDAC.
114. http://www.networkedblogs.com/p11225764 brief blog post.
115. http://www.earthweek.com/2009/ew091009/ew091009x.html An excellent educational post about anthromes, inspired by the NASA earth observatory piece.
116. http://novedadesera.blogspot.com/2009/10/human-ecosystems.html another nice post about anthromes inspired by the NASA piece.
117. http://www.collide-a-scape.com/2009/09/10/start-spreading-the-news/ brief blog post on anthromes.
118. (old but just found): http://www.for-wild.org/download/grapvine/grapmayjun08/grapmayjun08.html– post on original anthromes paper publication.
119. http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/010716.html use of anthromes in ecological mapping for law- relay of a piece by Laurent Granier of Ecocy http://www.ecocy.net/fr/journal.php#104″ (sent to me by him)
*120. http://geoserver.isciences.com/DataBlog/?p=735 A very nice and thorough blog post about anthromes, collating lots of materials, and even focusing on anthromes of New England.
121. http://blog.mywonderfulworld.org/2009/11/jonathan-boright-for-isciences–humanity-on-the-map-adding-human-civilization-to-the-biosphere.html repost of the isciences blog post.
122. http://freeassociationdesign.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/human-habitat-maps-of-anthropogenic-biomes/ blog post looking at anthromes in different regions.
123. http://allscienceconsidered.wordpress.com/2009/12/07/putting-people-in-the-map-a-new-look-at-earths-biomes/ blog post with a review of the original paper and EOEarth post.
124. http://www.frameweb.org/CommunityBrowser.aspx?id=4316 link to a presentation I gave at USAID on anthromes and the anthropocene.
125. http://www.ihdp.unu.edu/article/857 anthropogenic biomes release at SEDAC noted in IHDP ezine.
126. http://www.semeiotica.com/2010/01/anthropogenic-biomes/ “Anthropogenic Biomes as a Region for Research in Evolutionary Design Ecology”
127. http://freeassociationdesign.wordpress.com/2010/03/07/plastic-terra-agua-the-other-anthropogenic-biome/ Anthropogenic Biomes mentioned in article about plastic covered areas in the ocean.
128. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/03/geoengineering-gallery/ “Homo sapiens has emerged as a force of nature rivaling climatic and geologic forces,” wrote Earth scientists Erle Ellis and Navin Ramankutty in a 2008 Frontiers in Ecology paper, which featured their redrawn map of the human-influenced world. “Human forces may now outweigh these across most of Earth’s land surface today.”
129. http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100716/full/news.2010.359.html Nature News article on work with Laura Martin on ecological study sites by anthromes.
130. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/08/new-anthrome-maps/ Wired Science on Anthromes 2
131. http://pielkeclimatesci.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/new-paper-anthropogenic-transformation-of-the-biomes-1700-to-2000-by-ellis-et-al-2010/ Roger Pielke checks out Anthromes 2.
132. http://www.onearth.org/article/coming-of-age-in-anthropocene Alan Burdick of On Earth magazine muses about anthromes and novel ecosystems.
133. http://www.cometa-online.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=976:terraa-ovvero-come-salvarsi-dallestinzione&catid=35:comunicazione&Itemid=50 Article in Italian discussing anthromes 2 article.
134. http://www.greenreport.it/_new/index.php?page=default&id=6704 Another rticle in Italian discussing anthromes 2 article.
135. http://www.menschenzeit.de/index.php?/archives/7-Woerterbuch-des-Anthropozaens.html, http://www.menschenzeit.de/index.php?/buch.html Web site of German book on anthropocene that includes anthromes as a keyword.
136. http://wileygeohottopics.com/2010/09/13/biomes-to-anthromes/ Great educational site on anthromes, with focus on anthromes 2.
137. http://www.conservationmagazine.org/2010/10/the-anthrome-era/ Article in Conservation Magazine about urban ecology titled: “The Anthrome Era”
138. http://www.the-scientist.com/news/display/57789/ F1000 promotes anthromes 2 paper as “Top 7 Hidden Jewel”
139. http://trackerblog.trackernews.net/2010/11/01/natureasnurture/ discussed in Blog post about a TED conferences.
140. http://ecopaleo.blogspot.com/2010/08/our-particular-planetary-farm.html anthromes 2 paper discussed by paleoecology blog.
141. http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/11/the-natural-pin.html “The Natural Pine-Beetle Ecosystem Goes Off Its Rails”
142. http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/12/macroengineerin.html “Macroengineering Kitsch: Dutch Plan to Build Tulip Shaped Island”
143. http://www.ecoblogs.org/uncategorized/take-a-look-on-how-we-occupy-earth/ “Take a look on how we occupy Earth”
144.http://www.scienceblogs.de/evolvimus/2011/01/2011-das-jahr-in-dem-wir-die-7-erreichen.php “2011 – The year in which we achieve the 7” (in German)- uses anthromes creates some nice figures.
145. http://www.myninjaplease.com/?p=15321 “How Mankind Remade Nature” (extract from wired).
146. <http://www.the-scientist.com/2011/1/1/49/1/ Grant, R. P. 2011. Editor’s Choice in Ecology: Human Effects. The Scientist, 25(1):49.
147. http://www.wilsoncenter.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=events.event_summary&event_id=647938 Anthromes 1 Map used in Molly Jahn’s presentation at Woodrow Wilson Center: “A Dialogue on Managing the Planet” (Jahn’s presentation PDF).
148. http://e360.yale.edu/feature/living_in_the_anthropocene_toward_a_new_global_ethos_/2363/ Ellis and Ramankutty cited in article: “Living in the Anthropocene: Toward a New Global Ethos”
149. http://freeassociationdesign.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/foundational-forests-ii/ anthrome maps in relation to forest recovery: “cross referencing the map with the related and similarly scaled Anthropogenic Biomes.”
150. http://cryptoforest.blogspot.com/2011/03/foragers-critique-on-anthropocene.html anthropocene and anthromes discussed.
151. http://digginginthedriftless.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/living-in-the-anthropocene/ anthromes/anthropocene blog post on my Weston lecture at Madison 3/31/2011.
152. http://gardenearth.blogspot.com/2011/04/welcome-to-antropocene-and.html blog post about the original anthromes paper (2008).
153. http://architecturelinked.com/forum/topics/the-architect-the-geoengineer “Is it time for terraformative structures?”
154. http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/aguerrini/2011/10/20/the-future-is-not-the-past/ novel ecosystems and anthromes v1.
155. http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=33b5e6d9be464819ac63698a8e013405 Anthropogenic biomes of the world – 2000 (Data Basin Dataset)
156. http://www.theatlanticcities.com/design/2011/10/mapping-age-of-humans/362/ mentioned in article on mapping the anthropocene
157. http://nasadaacs.eos.nasa.gov/articles/2011/2011_anthromes.html NASA article about anthromes and the concepts and experience leading to them.
158. http://www.anthropology-news.org/index.php/2011/11/01/funding-for-interdisciplinary-research/ article about funding for anthropology that includes a paragraph on anthromes.