A compilation of media and other links related to the ArchaeoGLOBE project.
Project Publications & Resources
- Project publication: Stephens et al.. 2019. Archaeological assessment reveals Earth’s early transformation through land use. Science 365:897-902. [download PDF]
- Project Open Data Sharing at Harvard Dataverse, including links to read/download our Science paper for free.
- Project website (GLOBE.umbc.edu)
- Perspective in Science: How humans changed the face of Earth
- Science Podcast: how our farming and hunting ancestors transformed the world
- Science Now: Ancient farmers irreversibly altered Earth’s face by 3000 years ago
- The Conversation: Surveying archaeologists across the globe reveals deeper and more widespread roots of the human age, the Anthropocene
- Max Planck: Archaeological assessment reveals Earth’s early transformation through land use
- Future Earth: The Real Story of Human Transformation of the Earth is a Very Early One
- Global Land Programme (GLP): Roots of the human age, the Anthropocene, deeper than previously thought
- GLP Video on Youtube
- UMBC News: UMBC’s Erle Ellis crowdsources global archaeological research to trace the history of human impacts on Earth
Selected Media & Blogs
- New York Times: Humans Dominated Earth Earlier Than Previously Thought
- Popular Science: Humans started transforming Earth a lot earlier than we thought
- Monga Bay: Humans have been transforming Earth for thousands of years, study says
- Phys.org: Crowdsourced archaeology shows how humans have influenced Earth for thousands of years
- Daily Mail: Humans have been ruining the world since the Stone Age: Study finds farming affected almost HALF of the Earth’s land mass 4,000 years ago
- Science Daily: Ancient civilizations were already messing up the planet
- ABC Net: Ancient civilisations had a bigger impact on Earth’s environment than we thought
- Futurity News: We’ve Been Transforming Earth For At Least 10,000 Years
- Cosmos: We’ve been changing the planet for thousands of years
- YaleNews: Study illuminates how human activity has transformed the Earth
- Inhabiting the Anthropocene: “Archaeological assessment reveals Earth’s early transformation through land use.
- Natural History Magazine: Early Human Impact
Reddit/AskScience AMA Series: We mapped human transformation of Earth over the past 10,000 years and the results will surprise you! Ask us anything!