We have moved! Please visit us at ANTHROECOLOGY.ORG. This website is for archival purposes only.


Feb 27 2012

SERC Leaf-off Hexakopter Mission

This past Sunday (2/26/2012) Jonathan, Shelby, and I went to the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center to fly a hexakopter mission during leaf-off.  The image on the left was taken by the camera mounted to "Sally" as it was coming in for a landing.

Since "Raven" still has what we believe is a motor controller issue (contacting Nisarg about this), we brought "Roflkopter and "Sally" to SERC.  Initially "Roflkopter" was designated the primary flight hexakopter, because "Sally" had been noticed as having stripped threads on one of the propeller mounts on top of a motor.  Since the other two holes in the propeller mount were not stripped, we still considered "Sally" flightworthy, just not primary.

Once on site, Shelby and I set up a series of twelve orange contractor buckets along the road through the forest we were surveying.  Jonathan had programmed the rough distribution of them into the dog-tracker GPS to follow when we were setting them out.  Then throughout the rest of the day during flights and other work, we used a handheld GPS tool to determine the precise coordinates of each bucket.  These coordinates will be applied to the buckets in the point cloud representation.

As it turned out, "Roflkopter" was not our best choice for primary hexakopter.  Although it was certainly flightworthy, during flight it bobbed up and down instead of flying in a straight line.  Jonathan believes it is due to the hexakopter's vertical lock setting being miscalibrated or otherwise dysfunctional. 

We decided to fly "Sally" to see if we could collect data from a smooth flight.  After some test flights, we determined that the stripped screw on "Sally's" propeller mount was not going to be an issue this mission, although it will still be replaced.  On "Sally's" first mission, everything seemed to go well but when it returned the camera had run out of battery.  This was odd since the battery we used was most definitely fresh.  The camera did not seem to respond well to new batteries either, so we flagged it for later investigation and switched to a new camera.  Finally, "Sally" flew a successful flight and collected what looks like it will be a complete set of pictures of the forest canopy.

blog comments powered by Disqus