We have moved! Please visit us at ANTHROECOLOGY.ORG. This website is for archival purposes only.


May 02 2012

First Group Field Day

On Saturday 4/29/2012 we had the first field day of the semester. The goal was to begin mapping the trees at HR and to perfect our methods. However we soon discovered that our 5x5 meter plots that had been previously marked with PVC had much more error than we anticipated. To accommodate this we mapped the trees in the corners of 25x25 meter plots because they contained the known survey points.

We managed to get 8 of the 5x5 Meter plots surveyed and ready to document. Also, we have determined a new method to plot the 5x5 meter subplots. Our error came from one main source. When we were measuring the 5x5 subplots we started by marking the perimeter. Once this was done we laid out a string across the plot and measured along the string to mark our subplot points. While the points were 5 meters apart in one direction they were not in the other. The reference string did not provide enough accuracy and would lead to a line of points which fall to the left or the right of where they should fall.

To tackle this problem we purchased a straight line laser that can shoot up to 1000ft. The idea behind this is it will give us a perfectly straight reference line. We will shoot the laser across the plot from one known perimeter point to the next and than proceed to mark the points within the plot that lay on this line. This will hopefully do away with the error that accumulates while measuring along an inaccurate reference line.

At the end of the day we learned allot about our methods and what needs to be improved. This is all a part of field work to design, test, and redesign. Hopefully we will have another group field day soon with corrected subplots allowing much more mapping to be accomplished. I want to thank everyone from the ecosynth team and volunteers who made this day possible. 

blog comments powered by Disqus